North Island College Teaching & Learning Supports

Teach Anywhere

Academic Integrity Strategies

Designing Assignments that Foster Academic Integrity | Website By Teaching Commons @ York, York University

• Assignment design is key to encouraging integrity in students’ work. There are three general principles that should be followed when designing assignments: specificity, embeddedness, and process.

Exam Design: Promoting Integrity through Trust and Flexibility | Blog post By Laura Killam, April 6, 2020

• I spent a lot of time thinking about how to design my exam after a mid-semester pivot to online learning due to COVID-19. In the end, my exams this term are open book with no time limit. They have a due date but are open for a week or more. I am even open to extending it. Students can go in and out of the exam as many times as they want. I also provided them with a downloadable copy of the exam so they could work on it outside of Moodle. The response has been overwhelmingly positive and my decisions are founded in good pedagogy.

How to Help Students Avoid Violating Academic Integrity | Video by Dr. Kristie Dukewich, Educational Consultant, Teaching and Learning Commons, KPU