WordPress started as a blogging system, but has evolved to be used as full content management system and so much more through the thousands of plugins and widgets and themes. OpenETC (Open Education Technology Collaborative) is a community of educators, technologists, and designers sharing their expertise to foster and support open infrastructure for the BC post-secondary sector.
No contracts or agreements are required to join us, just a willingness and ability to actively participate in our collective endeavor to: a) encourage technological autonomy and provide ways for students, faculty and institutions to own and control their own data; b) lower the barrier to participation on the open web for BC faculty and students and c) provide a more sustainable ed tech infrastructure to BC higher education that gives institutions more control over their tools.
The OpenETC offers WordPress-powered sites with a curated collection of plugins, widgets, and themes and also allows you to create a new site from WordPress templates. All you need is a BC post-secondary email (students or instructors).
- OpenETC WordPress Get Started Page: https://opened.ca/get-started/
- Signing up for a WordPress Account: NIC Video
- Hands-On Studio A – Getting Started: Novice NIC PDF
- Hands-On Studio A – Getting Started: Intermediate NIC PDF
- Quick Start Guide: NIC PDF
Setting up a Site
- Themes: NIC Video
- Pages, Posts, Categories and Tags: NIC Video
- Menus: NIC Video
- Adding Links and Media: NIC Video