Building Course Content: From Copying, Course Builder and Manage Files to HTML Templates, Images, Links, Videos, and PDFs
Content means many things to instructors. This page outlines the various aspects of “content” and how to add, build, edit and access content in your Brightspace courses from copying in existing courses, uploading new content and editing content to managing your files and using Course Builder. Scroll through the choices and click on the link to move down the page where a video or links to another page give you access to resources.
- Bring in Content from a Blackboard Learn Course
- Clean up Blackboard Learn Course Content After Brought into Brightspace
- Bring in Content from Another Brightspace Course
- Using HTML Templates
- Using HTML Pages with Cleansed Text
- Course Design Elements that Enhance Learning
- Organizing Content First in Manage Files
- Building a Course All in Course Builder
- Locating a File Location via Course Builder
- Inserting Images into HTML Pages
- Creating Links (to an external website) on a HTML Page
- Creating Links to PDF, Word, PPT documents on a HTML Page
- Creating Links to Course Content and Activities via HTML page
- Kaltura Capture Recording Tool: Locating and Making a Video
- How to Embed a Video into a HTML Page
- Linking or Embedding Google Documents
- Using PDFs in Content Area
- How to Create a Checklist
- IT Assisted – Blackboard Learn Courses: Getting Content into Brightspace via Converted Courses
Clean Up Blackboard Learn Course Content after Brought into Brightspace
- Tips for Instructors to Clean Up Blackboard Learn Course – Link: Instructions for all of the following
- Clean Up Files and Content
- Clean up Assignments, Quizzes, Discussions and Grades
- Clean up HTML Pages
Bring in Content from another Brightspace Course
- Copying Content from one Brightspace Course to Another Brightspace Course
- Link: Instructions
- Tip: Start IN the course that you want to build in (opposite of Blackboard Learn)
Using HTML Templates (Pages)
This video shares how to use HTML templates to enhance content.
Using HTML Pages with Cleansed Text Content from Another source
This video is all about cleaning the text you copy from a Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. document when you paste into Brightspace. Always use CRTL + Shift + V (PC) or CMD + Shift + V (Mac) to paste text cleansed of any Microsoft code or other style tags so that your content is presented in a clean fashion. Also use HTML Templates!
Course Design Elements that Enhance Learning
This video shares how HTML templates and other course design elements can be built to enhance the learning experience.
Organizing Content First in Manage Files
- Manage Files: Uploading a Zipped File of a Whole Course and Tour of Tools and Features in Manage Files
Building a Course all in Course Builder
This video goes over all the aspects of how to use Course Builder to build your courses. You will find course builder via the blue navigation bar > Course Tools > Course Admin > Course Builder
Locating a FIle Location via COurse Builder
inserting Images into html pages
This video shows you how to insert images into your html pages.
Creating Links (to a website/webpage) on a HTML Page
This video shows you how to create a link to an external website or webpage off of a HTML page.
Creating Links to a Word, PDF (or PPT, Excel, etc) Document within a HMTL Page
Creating Links to Course Content and Activities via HTML page
This video shows you how to make links to course content and activities (like quizzes, assignments, self-enrolment groups, discussions) on a HTML page. The HTML page method is a recommended method over lots of links on the left menu that might compromise real estate of a module or a course and possibly look more cluttered for students to locate (however you can still do it that way).
Kaltura Capture Recording Tool: Locating and Making a Video
This video shows you how to use the Kaltura Capture Recording Tool to locate and make a video and then insert into Brightspace.
How to Embed a Video in a HTML Page in Brightspace
NEW July 28: USE new EMBED Kaltura Media 1.0 (2nd option under INSERT STUFF) and NOT the last option “Insert Kaltura”
Adding Google Documents
This video shares the step by step instructions about how to embed a Google Doc into your content area. The steps are found in this Google document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pTrIQF_vsjyjg4IFKyWd3AQkmduiMLReRX6yXO_Swgk/edit?usp=sharing
This video shares a bit more about why and how to link to and also embed Google documents into Brightspace – pros and cons, uses of etc.
UsING PDFs in Content Area
This video shares why using PDFs is preferable for the content area.
create a Checklist
How can you use checklists to support learners in your course?
- Create a checklist for each module listing what should be completed
- Create a checklist for all of the course deliverables
- Use a checklist for sequenced activities like labs
- Use a checklist to break down the elements of a large assignment or project
- How to use a checklist to break an assignment into manageable tasks: