Supports on Digital Pedagogies for North Island College Instructors

Teach Anywhere

Course Feedback

NIC Student Learning Experience Survey

The Student Learning Experience Survey is an informal, formative set of questions aimed to provide instructors with confidential feedback on their courses at the mid-point and end-point time periods. The survey is powered by Blue by Explorance, chosen by the NIC Learning Experience Inquiry Group. The software is hosted on a server in Montreal, Canada and complies with FIPPA regulations.

The survey questions below were used for the pilot and were written to comply with research (USask, UToronto, RyersonU) and reports (HEQCO) on what students are capable of responding to about their learning experience.

Course feedback is about gathering input on what is going well and where enhancements can be made mid-point and after the course is over. It is aimed to give students a voice to share what is working well and what isn’t and give faculty inputs to support the student learning experience.

FINAL VERSION 1: CORE QUESTIONS for MID-POINT of COURSE SURVEY 

These are for all disciplines except Faculty of Trades and Technical Programs. There are 18 core institutional questions. 15 on a 5-point Likert Scale and 3 are open-ended.

Instructor Questions  rated on a 5-point Likert scale (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree)

1. The instructor communicates the subject matter clearly.
  2. The instructor stimulates me to think about the subject.
  3. The instructor encourages my active participation in the class.
  4. I receive feedback that supports my learning.
  5. The instructor is responsive within a reasonable time period when I need assistance.

Course Questions  rated on a 5-point Likert scale (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree)

1. I find the course structure easy to follow.
  2. I understand what I need to do to be successful in this course.
  3. The course resources (texts, readings, web-based materials etc.) help me learn.
  4. The course assessments (papers, reports, projects, tests, quizzes etc.) help me learn.
  5. The learning environment is welcoming and supportive.
  6. The course is a positive learning experience for me.

Statements about Yourself  rated on a 5-point Likert scale (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree)

1. I am normally prepared for this course.
  2. I have good attendance in this course.
  3. I am putting sufficient time and effort into this course.
  4. The workload is reasonable and relative to the course expectations.

Open-Ended Questions

1. Overall, the moments in the course when I am most uninvolved as a learner are when:
  2. Overall, the moments in the course when I am most involved as a learner are when:
  3. Please share anything about this course the previous questions did not allow you to express.

FINAL VERSION 2: CORE QUESTIONS for END-of-COURSE SURVEY 

1. The instructor communicated the subject matter clearly.
  2. The instructor stimulated me to think about the subject.
  3. The instructor encouraged my active participation in the class.
  4. I received feedback that supported my learning.
  5. The instructor was responsive within a reasonable time period when I needed assistance.

1. I found the course structure easy to follow.
  2. I understood what I needed to do to be successful in this course.
  3. The course resources (texts, readings, web-based materials etc.) helped me learn.
  4. The course assessments (papers, reports, projects, tests, quizzes etc.) helped me learn.
  5. The learning environment was welcoming and supportive.
  6. The course was a positive learning experience for me.

1. I was normally prepared for this course.
  2. I had good attendance in this course.
  3. I put sufficient time and effort into this course.
  4. The workload was reasonable and relative to the course expectations.

Open-Ended Questions

1. Overall, the moments in the course when I was most uninvolved as a learner were when:
  2. Overall, the moments in the course when I was most involved as a learner were when:

FINAL VERSION 3: CORE QUESTIONS for END-of-COURSE SURVEY 

These are for Faculty of Trades and Technical Programs. There are 18 core institutional questions. 15 on a 5-point Likert Scale and 3 are open-ended.

Open-Ended Questions

Optional: Pre-Defined Selectable Questions for both mid-point of course and end of course

There are 12 pre-defined selectable institutional questions. Instructors have the option to choose up to 5 additional questions from the list below in the 2 weeks prior to the survey going live.

5-point Likert scale (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree) for most of them unless otherwise noted. These will be on all surveys for instructors to choose.

1. Mid: The use of learning technologies, digital delivery formats and/or web tools helps me learn. | End: The use of learning technologies, digital delivery formats and/or web tools helped me learn
  2. Mid: I participate in classroom discussions. | End: I participated in classroom discussions.
  3. Mid: The technology being used in this course helps enhance course concepts and principles. | End: The technology used in this course helped enhance course concepts and principles.
  4. Mid: The course provides an appropriate balance between instruction and practice for my learning. | End: The course provided an appropriate balance between instruction and practice for my learning.
  5. Mid: The variety of course engagement activities help me learn. | End: The variety of course engagement activities helped me learn.
  6. Mid: Course discussions encourage diverse or varied perspectives. | End: Course discussions encouraged diverse or varied perspectives.
  7. Mid: Group activities in this course contribute to my learning. | End: Group activities in this course contributed to my learning.
  8. Mid: Assignments in this course allow me to think critically. | End: Assignments in this course allowed me to think critically.
  9. Mid: The instructor is welcoming when I seek help. | End: The instructor was welcoming when I sought help.
  10. Mid: The course provides me with a deeper understanding of the subject area. | End: The course provided me with a deeper understanding of the subject area.
  11. Mid and End: I will recommend this course to my peers.
  12. Mid: This course enables me to demonstrate my creativity and/or originality. | End: This course enabled me to demonstrate my creativity and/or originality.
  13. Mid: This course expands my understanding of Indigenous ways of knowing related to the course content. | End: This course expanded my understanding of Indigenous ways of knowing related to the course content.
  14. Mid: How many hours on average per week have you put into the course so far (including scheduled class time? | End: How many hours on average per week have you put into the course (including scheduled class time)?
  15. End: I used the services available at NIC to support my learning success. Select all that apply.
  • Counselling
  • Library
  • Writing support
  • Math support
  • Employment services
  • Student Technical Services
  • Research Help

Only for Trades and Technical Programs and Health and Human Services Instructor Surveys

1. Mid: The lab/shop portion of this course is a valuable part of my learning. | End: The lab/shop portion of this course was a valuable part of my learning.
  2. Mid: The practical portion of this course is a valuable part of my learning. | End: The practical portion of this course was a valuable part of my learning.
  3. Mid: The lab equipment used aids me in understanding the theoretical concepts. | End: The lab equipment used aided me in understanding the theoretical concepts.
  4. Mid: The tools and equipment are essential to my hands-on learning. | End: The tools and equipment were essential to my hands-on learning.
  5. End: North Island College was my first choice for training.

Only for Health and Human Services Instructor Surveys

1. End: Practicum/Preceptorship placements supported my learning.
%d bloggers like this: