NIC’s Kaltura is a cloud-based video storage and streaming platform hosted on servers in Montreal, Canada set up for any NIC employee or student for storing, publishing, and sharing videos, video collections, and other media (such as podcasts, audio recordings, large image files). Kaltura also comes with two free video recording tools (‘Express Capture’ for immediate video capture and ‘Kaltura Capture’ for downloading and using on your own computer). Kaltura also has a mobile app version for Android or Apple phones.
- NIC Access: Through Brightspace via Kaltura My Media from Brightspace home page blue nav bar or within a Brightspace course under More > Kaltura My Media on blue nav bar inside each course(https://mycourses.nic.bc.ca) or through NIC MediaSpace (https://video.nic.bc.ca)
- NIC Login: with your student or employee NIC credentials and password
- Company Supports – Kaltura’s Learning Help Centre for very helpful step-by-step instructions or Kaltura Learning Videos for a collection of videos – both will present current versions of support in how to use the platform
- NIC Support – Students: Student Technical Services – where there are many helpful tips for using Kaltura
- NIC Support – Instructors: Submit a ticket to the NIC Service Desk
- NIC employees and students can undertake any of the following activities through My Media in Brightspace or through NIC MediaSpace. Students and faculty can share video with their classes via Brightspace’s Media Gallery or through an embedded video link.
- Here is what you can do with Kaltura:
- Create – Record new media with Express Capture (record video directly from your webcam)
- Create – Record new media with Kaltura Capture (record your computer screen and/or your webcam, microphone)
- Add New – Add new media you created or had already
- View – Access MediaSpace and locate your Media (called ‘My Media’ accessed from within Brightspace or through NIC MediaSpace)
- Bring in – Video from YouTube
- Share – Publish and share or embed into Brightspace course, website or other web platforms
- Edit – Use the video editor to add thumbnails, hotspots and create chapters
- Quiz – Add video quizzes to your videos through Video Quiz
- Manage – Download your media or add a collaborator
Kaltura is the company behind the product. Kaltura has a provincial and federal shared service agreement for any post-secondary institution. NIC’s Kaltura portion was set up at UBC, integrated into Blackboard Learn and soft-launched in May 2020 and then moved to the Canadian Regional Cloud in Montreal in March 2022 and reintegrated into Brightspace. After training and configuration activities, a full set up of the MediaSpace front-end was complete in June 2020. The URL of NIC’s MediaSpace is https://video.nic.bc.ca/
Many of the 25 post-secondary institutions in BC have their own MediaSpace installation, along with an integration into the learning management system. Like YouTube, MediaSpace allows for many similar activities such as adding and sharing media and provisioning media according to the resolution/screen size of devices. Unlike YouTube there are no advertisements or storage on servers outside of Canada. It is fully BC FIPPA compliant. NIC’s MediaSpace is managed by IT and pedagogically supported by the Centre for Teaching and Learning Innovation with a focus on teaching and learning for instructors and students.