North Island College has access to use Kaltura Virtual Classroom (also called Kaltura Meetings) until March 31, 2023 as part of our Kaltura licensing with the video streaming and storage solution. Kaltura Virtual Classroom is like BlueJeans or Zoom or Teams but focused on teaching and learning first.
BEFORE YOU JOIN
- Students and Instructors: Do a “Tech Check” and confirm “System Requirements” before you join | Webpage
- Students and Instructors: If you get “Access Denied” error – this is your browser needing to be set up. See this page for solutions.
- Students: Watch this Video | Skim this Getting Started Handout (not Brightspace login – but rest is accurate)
- Students: So you’ve been invited to a Kaltura Virtual Classroom meeting – now what? | Webpage
Joining Via Brightspace
- Instructors: In your course via blue navigational bar > More > Kaltura Media Gallery > Start Meeting (there is no app, this is a browser-based tool)
- Students: In your course via blue navigational bar > More > Kaltura Media Gallery > Join Meeting OR via a URL your instructor sends you (there is no app, this is a browser-based tool)
- Both: When you join you will be presented with a window to confirm your camera, microphone and speakers along with the chance to ‘blur’ your background. Please check all these connections to ensure you can hear, see etc.
Joining via a URL
- Instructors: You can go into your meeting rooms (in Brightspace or the MediaSpace ones) and under the INVITE tab you will see the URL you can send to people
- Students: You may be sent a URL to a class and you’d click on that URL to access the online space
- Kaltura Instructor Videos | scroll below
- Kaltura Virtual Classroom/Meetings – Video Support Resources Web Page
- Kaltura Knowledge Centre Dashboard | Web page
- Read more about Kaltura Virtual Classroom: Link to PDF Handout | Link to Web Page Overview
Kaltura Virtual Classroom Features
- Persistent virtual class (it never goes away, or you have to set up again – it is always ready for teaching) saving your files or set up from previous class
- Up to 50 participants per a class but only 25 show on the stage – instructor is able to click on “LIVE” button in participant list to enable a student to the webcam tray/stage
- Prepare ahead of time (you can prepare your content, pre upload, link in videos) in your playlist, set up videos in advance etc.
- Play videos with excellent HD video, audio and streaming quality (because this is Kaltura – video is their specialty)
- Students join from within Brightspace (no links required) or you can create a room for meetings outside of Brightspace
- Students and instructors join without any apps to download (users the browser)
- Raise hand feature in Participant List
- Assign moderator role to anyone in the class if required
- Can blur the background
- Can record and have recording automatically go into your Kaltura My Media Gallery for access by students
- Instructors can use whiteboards, quizzes, polling and Q+A chat stream engage learners
- Polling can be anonymous or not
- Quizzing (set up ahead of time) can be multiple choice, multiple answer, or open question – results displayed to class
- Chat can have up to four streams (Questions and Answers, Group Chat, Private Chat and Moderators’ Chat)
- Create breakout rooms (up to 30), add students (drag and drop) and upload documents for students to use while in breakout session
- Can import a list and pre-assign students to a breakout room via a list
- Can set a time limit on the breakout rooms
- In breakout rooms students can chat, upload shared files, add YouTube videos, share screen, record the session, write notes, collaborate on whiteboard and even switch rooms if you allow
- You can change room membership during the session
- Participants can also summon the moderator if they need help while in a breakout room
- Students can collaborate in the class notes tool
- Moderator can broadcast a message to all students while in breakout rooms
Not included: Virtual backgrounds, live machine captioning (but there will be closed captions on all recorded classes 30 + mins after recording is done), weatherperson mode.
Short Videos (select ones from Kaltura Support Resources Pages)
How to Join/Start Via Brightspace – via Kaltura Media Gallery in a course
This video shows you how to go into the LMS (Brightspace in our case) and navigate to a course and then within that course look for Kaltura Media Gallery. For NIC (not shown in video) go to the MORE tab in Brightspace navigation blue banner and find the JOIN MEETING button (for students) or the START MEETING button (for instructors)
How to Set Virtual Classroom Mode
This video shows you how to set your Kaltura meeting to be “virtual classroom” mode.
How to Set default Permissions
This video shows how to set up your virtual classroom in terms of what you will allow or disallow your learners to access.
How to ManAge Chat Sessions
How to Add Files to your Virtual Classroom
How to Annotate Shared Files
How to Prepare Your Playlist
How to End Your Virtual Classroom Session
How to Manage Participants (Learners)
This video shows you how to add people to the stage, manage video and audio, give permissions etc. More info about the LIVE button here.
More information on managing participants here.
How to Use Quick Controls
Utilizing Various Room Views
How to Share Kaltura Media in your Live Session
How to Share YouTube Videos
How to Share Your Screen (Google Chrome Browser)
How to Use the Digital Whiteboard
How to Record Your Session
How to Breakout Your Live Session
How to Share Files in Breakout Rooms
How to Change Room Assignments in Breakout Rooms
How to Preset Breakout Room Assignments
How to Create Quizzes