Re: Book your Student Orientation to Learning Technology Tours
Feedback from instructors, support staff and students indicates that the Student Learning Technology Tours are a huge benefit for students. Book a 30-minute or 60-minute Learning Technologies Tour with Geoff or Tyler for your class. I recommend this even if you feel your students are managing with the technologies – many aren’t or may need a refresher.
Students are uploading video to Blackboard Learn discussion posts and assignments (when they should be uploading to Kaltura via MyMedia or Media Gallery), students are still not comfortable with BlueJeans connections and students indicate some discomfort navigating around Blackboard Learn. We also have many new features and functions in BlueJeans that most students may not know about.
To help students be successful digital learners in 2021, two learning technology orientation tours (done via BlueJeans during your class time) are available to book. The tours will include new features and functions in BlueJeans and Kaltura, and focus in on the key Blackboard Learn features students tend to stumble on – plus lots of other current tips and support help!
Don’t worry if your students get a tour in another class – multiple orientations will be good for their learning. I recommend “The Full Tour” to ensure your students have the best opportunity to ask questions and get acquainted with all the new technologies.
What to do?
Select your Tour Choice (more details see below)
- The Essentials Tour (30 minutes) OR
- The Full Tour (60 minutes)
Email Geoff or Tyler directly at their emails below (as per your campus) with the date and time of your class(es) and they’ll be in touch with scheduling details and confirmation.
- Mixalakwila and Campbell River Campus Instructors: email Geoff.Marr@nic.bc.ca
- Comox Valley and Port Alberni Campus Instructors (including Ucluelet): email Tyler.Dean@nic.bc.ca
Any questions, please direct to Geoff or Tyler.
2021 TOUR OPTIONS
Option A: The Essentials Tour – 30 minutes
- Tour of myNIC – student portal (e.g., signing in, self service, email, blackboard, announcements, etc.)
- Tour of Blackboard Learn – (e.g., key functions and features – such as myGrades, assignment submission, quizzes, groups, etc.)
- Introduction to student email (e.g., where to find, its importance to learning, check often)
- Brief list of important activities: “you need this list of items…” (e.g., Microsoft 365, BlueJeans, email on your device)
- How to sign in to Office.com and download Microsoft 365
- Where to find us for support (www.nic.bc.ca/StudentTech)
- Answer questions
Option B: The Full Tour – 60 minutes
- All items from Options A – Plus these additional items:
- Getting email setup on personal devices
- BlueJeans Tour – (e.g., key functions and NEW features )
- even if you are not using BlueJeans for teaching your class, students may encounter it through office hours, communications with Student Services or through other classes
- Kaltura Tour – video streaming and storage platform (e.g., overview of functions and features – such as downloading Kaltura Capture, uploading video and sharing video link, finding video in My Media/Blackboard Learn)
- even if you are not using Kaltura for creating or storing video for your course, students might like to know about the free video recorder they have access to and the “YouTube”- like NIC MediaSpace platform should they wish to use for sharing media with their classmates or for other classes