Re: Book your Student Orientation to Learning Technology Tours
Feedback from instructors, support staff and students indicates that the Student Learning Technology Tours are a huge benefit for students. Book a 30-minute or 60-minute Learning Technologies Tour with someone from Student Tech Services for your class.
To help students be successful digital learners, two learning technology orientation tours (done via BlueJeans during your class time or via in-person class sessions) are available to book. The tours will include new features and functions in BlueJeans and Kaltura, and focus in on the key Brightspace features students need to use this digital learning platform.
Don’t worry if your students get a tour in another class – multiple orientations will be good for their learning. We recommend “The Full Tour” to ensure your students have the best opportunity to ask questions and get acquainted with all the new technologies.
What to do?
Select your Tour Choice (more details see below)
- The Essentials Tour (30 minutes) OR
- The Full Tour (60 minutes)
Email Tyler directly at his email below (as per your campus) with the date and time of your class(es) and they’ll be in touch with scheduling details and confirmation.
- Mixalakwila and Campbell River Campus Instructors: email Tyler.Dean@nic.bc.ca or Hans.Tang@nic.bc.ca
- Comox Valley and Port Alberni Campus Instructors (including Ucluelet): email Tyler.Dean@nic.bc.ca or Hans.Tang@nic.bc.ca
Any questions, please direct to Tyler or Hans.
Option A: The Essentials Tour – 30 minutes
- Tour of myNIC – student portal (e.g., signing in, self service, email, blackboard, announcements, etc.)
- Tour of Brightspace – (e.g., key functions and features – such as grades, assignments, quizzes, content, announcements, quick guide, etc.)
- Introduction to student email (e.g., where to find, its importance to learning, check often)
- Brief list of important activities: “you need this list of items…” (e.g., Microsoft 365, BlueJeans, email on your device)
- How to sign in to Office.com and download Microsoft 365
- Where to find us for support (www.nic.bc.ca/StudentTech)
- Answer questions
Option B: The Full Tour – 60 minutes
- All items from Options A – Plus these additional items:
- Getting email setup on personal devices
- BlueJeans Tour – (e.g., key functions and any new features )
- even if you are not using BlueJeans for teaching your class, students may encounter it through office hours, communications with Student Services or through other classes
- Kaltura Tour – video streaming and storage platform (e.g., overview of functions and features – such as downloading Kaltura Capture, uploading video and sharing video link, finding video in My Media/Blackboard Learn)
- even if you are not using Kaltura for creating or storing video for your course, students might like to know about the free video recorder they have access to and the “YouTube”- like NIC MediaSpace platform should they wish to use for sharing media with their classmates or for other classes