NIC has purchased access to two group teaching and learning support subscriptions: “The Teaching Professor” (an archive of over 1000 helpful teaching and learning articles) and “20-Minute Mentor Commons” (nearly 300 20-minute videos) for post-secondary instructors.
Non-instructional faculty, administration and support staff may also find the newsletter articles and videos helpful in your support of instructors and of teaching and learning activities. This is a site-wide license for all employees at NIC.
Follow the instructions below to get your own account and access to the group subscription using your NIC email. Consider using a different password than your NIC one for enhanced security. This is a yearly subscription available until May 31, 2022.
All North Island College Employees have Access to The Teaching Professor and 20-Minute Mentor Commons
As a member of the NIC campus community this online content from Magna Publications is available at no cost to you. Since 1972 Magna has been a leading provider of higher education professional development resources. Sign up today to check out the resources from the two subscriptions!
Edited by respected scholar and expert Dr. Maryellen Weimer, The Teaching Professor is a forum for discussion of the best strategies supported by the latest research for effective teaching in the college classroom. You’ll find an archive of over 1000 articles with many added each month.
20-Minute Mentor Commons offers on-demand versions of Magna’s popular 20-Minute Mentor programs, covering a broad range of faculty development topics. These are 20-minute videos on teaching, learning and technology topics for higher education – nearly 300 in the collection.
Steps to Register and Log In to Access the Group Subscription
- Go to https://www.magnapubs.com/register/. Enter information in the required fields including your NIC email and a password you create. You cannot create your account with a personal email. Choose> Submit. NOTE: if you get an error that your password does not match, skip down to the EXISTING USERS Section below
- Once successfully registered, you will see a screen “Thank you for completing your registration”. Close out of the session and go to the new URL in step # 3. So far you have just created an account with Magna, but you don’t yet have access to the ‘group subscriptions’ – so you need to re-enter the website through the next link.
- Then go to a special NIC URL (email CTLI@nic.bc.ca for URL)
- On the right side of the page, in the “Username or email address” box, enter the email address that you submitted in Step 1.
- Enter your password > Login
- On the My Account page > Join Team
- On the My Online Access page click the appropriate orange “Go to…” box for access – one of these two boxes should appear in your subscriptions area of the page:
For Teaching Professor subscribers: When taken to the Teaching Professor web site, in the upper right corner, select Sign In. Re-enter your email address and Magna password. Click Sign In. You will now have full access to the articles and content on the site.
For 20-Minute Mentor Commons subscribers: You will be taken to the dashboard for the institutional subscription. Scroll to search or locate the materials you wish to access or view.
Logout when complete.
BOOKMARK SITE FOR FUTURE RETURN: Return to this site and go to “Login” in top LEFT corner https://www.magnapubs.com/
If you get an error when using Create Account:
- Go to https://www.magnapubs.com/profile/lost-password/
- Enter your email address > Reset Password
- Once the password has been reset, go to the URL in Step 3 above to complete the registration process and log in